Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Excuses to Exercise!

I've been trying to exercise more lately.  Losing weight was extremely difficult, and keeping it off is even harder.  It doesn't help that as the years go by the metabolism slows down and knees ache even more.  I have found every excuse in the book not to exercise.  Valid or In.  Un?  Non?  Anyway, I've given in to the more "worthy" excuses over the years, like having pre-term labor, or taking care of a child with a chronic illness, but I'm afraid, more often than not, I have also given in to those reasons that aren't so good--in fact, ones that are downright despicable, such as not wanting to have to have one more T-shirt to launder, or not thinking I had time.     

Well, I'm changing my attitude.  Each day I'm considering all the excuses to exercise.  Feeling good, sleeping more soundly, losing weight, warding of old age (!), feeling good, keeping muscles and bones strong, avoiding osteoarthritis and diabetes, and, oh, did I mention feeling good?  Feeling wonderful?  Feeling on top of the world, ready to tackle anything, and finding I have more time for all the important things?

When I really stop to think about it, there are many more excuses to just go ahead and exercise.  Even a ten minute walk.  Or, if my knees are hurting, using my $5.99 stretch band to work my arms.  Even when I don't stop to really think about it, all those wonderful, enlightening, life-enhancing reasons I can find for getting a little rise in my heartbeat are still there.  Just waiting for me to realize how valid they are, and how incredibly delightful I feel when I do it.

The Journey Continues . . .

2 comments:

  1. Okay. One more comment. I have been walking on several days each week since the end of 2010. At first, I walked to overcome depression. Then I walked to run errands. I continued to walk to lose weight. And now I walk mostly to visit with people. It's been a neat progression for me. Thank you for your good example. :)

    ReplyDelete