Friday, January 24, 2014

Miracles Happen!

I woke up this morning at five o'clock as excited as a seven-year-old on Christmas.  The anticipation was incredible.  I could not wait to try out my new knees.  I tore a meniscus in my left knee a few months ago, and it has been incredibly swollen since.  Yesterday I had it removed (the fluid, not the knee), and I had what felt like a boatload of cortisone pumped in.  I realize it may be a few more days until it takes effect completely, but I felt absolutely wonderful this morning.  I could not wait to get on that elliptical.  It was even a little difficult to focus on all 77 verses of the allegory of the tame and wild olive trees, as I kept getting distracted by the thought of working out without pain.  When I finally made it to the machine, I was not disappointed.  It was as if I could have stayed on that thing all day.  Oh, the miracle of modern medicine!  I wanted to shout from the mountaintops.

To you, Dr. Cooley, and to your assistant, thank you thank you!!  I came out of your office yesterday feeling positive, encouraged, and better than I have in years.  You were even kind when you explained what three marathons had done to my knees.  You were positive about my future.  Bless you and your bedside manner and medical know-how.

To those of you who continuously hurt as you try to get a little exercise in your day, I feel your pain.  But hang in there.  And Don't. Give. Up.

1 comment:

  1. Pamela; I just wanted to say....THANK YOU!! I learned about you during one of our mandatory trainings that we had at work. You were one of the people chosen by our speaker to because of your inspirational story. He told us a little about what happened to you and your family. He showed us the cover to your book and while at the library one day with my daughter; I decided to see if it was available. I read your book and found you to be very inspirational; for this I thank you. Your book really got me thinking. I am not LDS but I loved the part in the book where you said that God (Heavenly Father) gave us our body and it was a vessel. That we needed to take care of it in order to take care of our family. Not your exact words I know; but this part really stuck in my mind and because of this I am much more faithful in my workouts and in my eating. I will be running the 5k this year and am very much looking forward to it.

    Once again; Thank You and God bless.

    ReplyDelete