Saturday, October 5, 2013

The St. George Marathon

My computer has been having issues the past few days.  I am glad to be up and running again.  Speaking of running, as I'm writing this, in about six hours, the St. George marathon will begin.  Just a few short years ago, on two separate occasions, I was down there, prepping for the run.  One year Mark and the kids came along to cheer me on; another year I was there with Dianne and Ruth--my two marathon buddies.  Everyone should run a marathon with Dianne and Ruth.  They are wonderfully positive women.  They taught me how to be happy through those 26.2 miles.  One game we played while we ran was taking a little trip through the alphabet, and coming up with and sharing positive words.  A-wesome, A-mazing, then B-rilliant,  C-apable, and on down the line.  The only rule was that we couldn't say words with a negative connotation, like A-wful, A-chy , B-rittle, B-rutal, or C-an't, or  even C-orpse.  That game really worked well between mile 16 and 19!

Another thing we did was to name a body part that wasn't hurting.  By about mile 20 we simply could not come up with anything, until cute Dianne said that the only part that didn't hurt on her was her earlobe.  We laughed until mile 23!


Part of me is quite content this weekend to be at home, sporting my cozy sweats, watching conference.  But a lot more of me wishes I were down in St. George, with my two running buddies, doing that delightfully grueling marathon. . . I am only too aware of what it would take to get back in training.  I don't have as much confidence in my knees as I used to.  But what an indescribable thrill it is to cross that finish line and have that "Finisher" medal put around your neck!  And especially to do it with people whom you love and appreciate, who have inspired you to try your hardest and give it your all.

To you, Dianne and Ruth, my marathon sisters, thank you for the incredible memories which continue to motivate and encourage me!

1 comment:

  1. great fun here in St Georgehttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn

    ReplyDelete