Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Forever Changed by Little Leland


This is an inspiring family.

When I think of this brave mother carrying this little guy for 14 weeks after discovering he had one of those conditions that are "incompatible with life," I marvel at the strength she and her husband have, in the choice they made that for three and a half months they would continue to make memories, even as hope continued to diminish.  Certainly it is an agonizing decision, and one that is so personal.  I remember it well.  As I think about comments from well-wishers that expectant mothers often get, as I'm sure Mijken received, I remember the heartache that I felt about knowing my own baby would not live long, and those innocent comments seemed to tear open the hurt all over again.

Often we don't focus very much on the the older siblings of the angel baby, but they are certainly affected as well.  Sully just wanted a little brother.  And, once again, our wonderful Heather and Marilyn, who bring Angel Watch to grieving families, were there to offer hope.  My heart goes out to the sweet Hall family as we honor them this Saturday at our Running with Angels 5K.  Here is their story:
 My name is Mijken Hall. My husband, son and I lost our baby Leland on January 12, 2013. Leland was very wanted- he had been wished for by his older brother, Sully, for two birthdays in a row.

At our 20 week ultrasound, it was discovered that I had no amniotic fluid, and with further testing, confirmed that Leland never developed kidneys. This is a condition called bilateral renal agenesis, or Potter's Syndrome. We were devastated to receive the news that Leland would not make it through the birthing process or die shortly after his birth. We chose to give our beloved baby every opportunity to live, and we created beautiful memories and individual relationships while I was carrying him. Angel Watch- Heather and Marilyn- helped us find the words to tell Sully that we wouldn't be able to watch our baby grow up.

At 34 weeks, contractions started and we knew our baby's life would be short. Leland was born into a world full of love and the tender time we had with him was joyful but heartbreakingly too short. After an hour and a half, our baby stopped breathing. Marilyn gently ushered everyone out of the room but our little family of 4. 

Although we will always feel Leland's absence, we are forever changed by him. Thank you for allowing our family to remember our brave son. 


No comments:

Post a Comment