Wednesday, April 2, 2014

It's Not About the Scale

A few weeks ago, I had such a great week.  I exercised faithfully.  I tracked every morsel I put into my mouth, and I had such self-control in portion-control.  I was sure I would lose about 25 pounds on the scale at Weight Watchers at the end of the week.

I was up .8.

I was devastated.  Really?  I work that hard and be that faithful and still go up almost a pound?  I felt horrible.  I had been so patient with my body over the past few years, but I had such a great week, of doing everything right.  That hasn't happened for a while.  And physically, emotionally--even spiritually, I felt wonderful.  

The next week wasn't so great.  I slipped.  Not on the scale, of course,  but in my thoughts, exercise, and food choices.

I even skipped Weight Watchers last week.

But I've picked myself back up again.  I've dusted my wounded confidence and am now, for the bazillionth time, realizing that the focus should not be on the number on the scale.  My focus should be where it belongs--on my desire to be healthy, and how great I feel when I make those good choices to take care of this body--this blessing--I have been given.  Oh, I plan to go back to Weight Watchers. It's a good accountability for me, and I enjoy hearing from others who struggle and triumph.  But I'm changing the way I measure my success.  It's not about the scale.  And, perhaps, even most important of all, I will take just one day at a time.  Sometimes one hour at a time.  I won't focus on the number.  It's not about the scale.  With heavenly help, I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment