Thursday, September 26, 2013

Lucy Brought Me Tootsie Rolls

A sweet lady named Lucy called me two days ago.  She had just visited her parents in a remote area of Mexico and met my cute missionary son.  When she told him she didn't live far from his family, he asked if she could bring home a small package.  She said she would.  I was ecstatic when her phone call came.  I eagerly drove to her home, picturing a thumb drive full of pictures, something--anything--that would show us how he lives and what he experiences each day.  The cream colored envelope was about the size of three boxes of butter.  I tore it open.  There were delightful letters to us all.  And there were Tootsie Rolls.  Tootsie Rolls?  I looked further.  No pictures.  No camera card.  No thumb drive.  What?  He had what may be the only chance in two years to safely send us something home, and he sends Tootsie Rolls?

Then it hit me.  He knows I love Tootsie Rolls.  Even a liiiiiittle too much I love Tootsie Rolls.  He was thinking of me.  He wanted to send something he knew would make me smile.  My heart melted.  I am touched to tears by his tenderness.  Pictures and souvenirs will come.  The letters were full of love for his family and the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  They spoke of the love he has for the difficult missionary work in which he is engaged.   He said he is not wasting a minute of that experience.

Lucy brought me Tootsie Rolls from Mexico.  Thank you, Lucy, for bringing me much more.  You brought me more happiness  and enlightenment than you will ever know.

4 comments:

  1. Pam, I just want to say that I'm loving your new commitment to blogging. Keep it up! I will soon be trying to restart my own efforts, and you're inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Tootsie Rolls...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, I now look forward to your "heads-up" that you have posted, go right there and read it. THEN I am uplifted by the great things and sweetness of your posts. Thank you for inspiring so many. Love you, Carin Green

    ReplyDelete